Dangerous trends in democracy in South Asia
Published in the Sunday Leader.
Dr. Mallika Joseph, policy advisor and Regional Coordinator for GPPAC South Asia, participated in a round table discussion hosted by the Institute of National Security Studies Sri Lanka (INSSSL) on 31 May, 2018.
Dr. Joseph highlighted seven trends which have the potential of impacting the regional security environment in South Asia:
1. Rise in anocracies
2. Democratic backsliding
3. Constant erosion of our understanding and acceptance of the quality of democracy
4. Erosion of global and regional institutions of governance
5. Rise in countries reeling under fundamental and radical narratives
6. Demography and large scale movement of people
7. The gap in understanding and responding to terrorism and violent extremism